How can we help you?


< Back

How to provide a good Consumer submission

Our role at NHOS is to consider consumer complaints around new build house problems and establish whether the developer has breached the terms of the code; and whether the customer was treated fairly. As well as resolving individual complaints, we aim to help improve the quality of complaint handling, raise standards within the industry and improve the overall customer experience.

Check whether your complaint is eligible

You can raise a complaint regarding new build house problems with the New Homes Ombudsman if your complaint meets the following criteria:

1. The developer is a current Registered Developer with the New Homes Quality Board and has signed up to the New Homes Quality Code. Click here to see a list of qualifying NHQB members and the date that they joined the scheme.

2. The date of Reservation of the property was on or after the Registered Developer became subject to the jurisdiction of the New Homes Ombudsman.

3. The complaint relates to an issue which occurred within 2 years from your Reservation date or Legal completion date, whichever is later.

4. Your complaint is being submitted less than 12 months from the Final Closure Letter, if you have received this.

5. You have received your Final Closure Letter or you have waited at least 56 days from the date you submitted your initial complaint to the Registered Developer.

6. The complaint is about a breach of the new homes quality code and you have already raised this with the Registered Developer. [If you are not sure whether your complaint is a breach of the New Homes Quality Code, you can respond "Don't Know" on the initial Complaints form and we will review the complaint you have submitted and will be in touch].

If we feel that a developer’s complaints procedure has not been started or concluded, we will be obligated to refer you back to the developer and complete the process.

Tell us about your complaint

Once the eligibility checks are complete, we will then ask you to upload full details of your complaint regarding new build house problems with any supporting evidence that we will then share with the Developer for them to respond. We will share their response with you.

Key documents – it is helpful to include a copy of your reservation agreement and/or contract (this helps us with verification and avoids delays).

Detail is key – make sure to tell us everything that is relevant to the case, the smallest detail can be important. The more information we have about your complaint, the better we are able to understand what has gone on and it reduces any additional investigation time.

Evidence – if you have anything that would help support your complaint such as photographs, email threads or any other relevant documents, please upload them too.

Link it together – when writing out the narrative of your complaint, please tell us how the evidence supports the comments. For example, “I raised a formal complaint with the developer on 1st of February, please see email ‘formal complaint’ for reference”.

Further assistance with new build house problems

Our team are here to help, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need any assistance with providing your submission. You can reach us on 0330 808 4286 or at   

< Back To Blogs

Read Next